|Home » News (» Roundups)
Lex Orwell: The Changes
Is it enough?
Following are the changes to Lex Orwell. Will it be enough?
- The objectives of signals intelligence have to be spelled out in the law itself.
- A special court will grant permission for culling intelligence data.
- The FRA must apply for permission for all its operations. Even signals intelligence carried out for the government must be approved by the court.
- The FRA will only have access to the traffic streams the court approves.
- The FRA may not eavesdrop on traffic which has both its source and destination in Sweden.
- The FRA may only carry out signals intelligence at the request of the government, the cabinet, and the department of defence.
- A special commission will research the needs of the civil and security police.Search keys which target individuals may not be used without special permission.
- More information about destruction of data will be provided and will be in accordance with current laws regulating the FRA's destruction of data concerning individuals.
- The independence of the controlling agencies and the provisions for a correct audit of operations will be enhanced.
- Individuals must be alerted when they are the objects of investigations.
- The controlling agencies must when so requested by individuals investigate if surveillance has been conducted according to the letter of the law.
- If information of a sensitive personal nature falls in the hands of the FRA it must be immediately destroyed.
- No information culled by the FRA may be kept for more than one year - and not for historical, statistical, or similar reasons.
- By the year 2011 the controlling agencies will present a review of how well - and how ethically - the FRA have conducted their operations.
Radsoft Rants: Lex Blair
Radsoft News: To the Vote
Radsoft News: 'Ja' to Lex Orwell
Radsoft News: Orwellian Update I
Radsoft News: Lex Orwell & Intent
Radsoft News: Lex Orwell to ECHR
Radsoft Rants: Toppling Governments
Radsoft News: Lex Orwell - No for Now
Radsoft News: Lex Orwell - How They Voted
Radsoft News: Lex Orwell - Cryptology No Answer
Radsoft News: Sweden's First Banana Republic Party
Radsoft News: FRA - The Three Letters That Shook Sweden
Radsoft News: 'I Have To Be Able to Look Myself in the Eyes'
Dagens Nyheter: FRA-lagen jagar bort IT-företag från Sverige
Radsoft News: Lex Orwell - Why Aren't You Listening, Reinfeldt?
Radsoft News: Lex Orwell - Political Leader Threatens Resignation
Radsoft News: Lex Orwell is Scaring IT Companies Away from Sweden